I have already posted my Hospital Bag, Bowel Prep & Post Op Ailment Tips. Please head over and check those out for great tips & tricks for before & after surgery. Today I will do a short post about the OTC meds & supplies I have stocked up on for after surgery!
Once I leave the hospital and come home I want to be as prepared as possible. I am sure there can be any number of possible bumps along the road to recovery. Whether it be gas pains or diarrhea(doesn’t sound too pleasant after surgery) I want to be as prepared as possible.
Here is a short list of great things to have on hand Post Op!
- Gas-X or another anti-gas OTC with the main ingredient Simethicone. It helps to move excess gas out of the body!
- Imodium or another Anti-Diarrheal OTC with the active ingredient Loperamide HCI. Counteracts/reverses diarrhea!
- Nauzene or another Anti-Nausea OTC with the active ingredients Dextrose (Glucose) & Levulose (Fructose). Chose one that also includes an Anti-Acid.
- Prilocec OTC or another Anti-Acid like Equate Acid reducer for acid reflux. There are several active ingredients to chose from in OTC Anti-Acids.
- Colace or Dulcolax stool softeners. The active ingredients should be docusate sodium. Avoid stimulant laxatives!
- Allergy Relief OTC like the Equate Allergy Tablets. The active ingredient should be diphenhydramine HCI antihistamine.
- Kleenex Tissues for any tears of joy or sorrow after surgery!
- Hand Sanitizer wipes or liquid to keep infection down to a minimum risk!
- Dried Prunes or Fiber supplements. Helps to naturally encourage bowel movements…prevents constipation!
- Gingerale or Ginger suckers. Great for helping with nausea.
- Thermometer to keep an eye out for any post op fevers!
- First Aid kit for any boo boos you may get!
I hope this helps you to be better prepared once your wonderful nurses are no longer there! I will update this list as soon as I find new items that may be helpful! Please feel free to leave your suggestions in the comments!